I’ve gone a little coo coo for cupcakes this week. Moving on from the traditional English dessert of banoffee pie I’ve travelled across the North Atlantic Ocean over to the States and the home of the Oreo. Surprisingly, I’m not a big Oreo fan which I know is rather shocking. I don’t really get the hype around them. I mean they’re just creamy vanilla icing sandwiched together with plain chocolate biscuits filled. Yes, they’re good but I don’t think they’re amazing. But for some bizarre reason when those little biscuits are crushed and mixed with buttercream icing my taste buds start salivating. Weird right?
Cookies and cream diehards will say that this cupcake is not a true rendition of cookies and cream because the cupcake batter is plain vanilla. If you are one of those people, I would suggest you crush a few extra biscuits and add them to the mix. I have only opted for a plain cupcake because that’s just the way I prefer it. Either way, you’re still eating a cupcake and you’re still eating Oreo’s, so you’re not exactly on Struggle Street. In fact it’s a pretty good street to find yourself on.
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
- 185g butter
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- 250g butter, softened and diced
- 400g icing sugar
- 100g white chocolate melts
- 12 crushed Oreos, plus 12 more to decorate
- Preheat oven to 160°C and line a muffin tray with 12 muffin cases.
- Place the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy. Add the eggs separately, and beat well after each addition. Sift the flour over the mixture and fold to combine. Spoon the mixture into the muffin tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cakes are cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in the tins for 4 minutes and then transfer to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing melt the chocolate by filling a dish with boiling water and place a metal bowl on top. Put the chocolate in the bowl and stir until melted. Cream the butter using electric beaters and then gradually add in the icing sugar. The slowly pour in the white chocolate and beat until incorporated. Mix in the crushed Oreo’s and ice the cupcakes. Top each cupcake with an Oreo and serve.